Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Deluge

The lyrics from the soundtrack are on Daymap. You should be able to add to these notes for "Lonely Won't Leave Me Alone".

Consider the three areas we have been concentrating on: how the director constructs meaning; characterisation and themes/ideas/values. Go through your essay questions. When may it be appropriate to refer to this sequence? To quote a song lyric?

Lonely Won’t Leave Me Alone – The Arlenes
There was a time I thought I knew (Nick walks sobbing beside tracks)
About life and knew what to do (Meryl cries, thunder - let the cleansing begin!)
And I, in this pain, I know nothing at all
I should have known better you say (Pan of Joan’s photos - life's journey)
I took it all, on my new faith
And now the bad guys and hope (Jasmine’s birthday party)

Lonely won’t leave me alone
I tried, I tried but you won’t let go (Window)
It’s a pain that will never go away (Anna)
Lonely won’t leave me alone (Julia)

Silence (Train driver gives Julia Meryl's card“I’m sorry” “It wasn’t your fault” handshake)

I tried, I tried but you won’t let go (Nick, photomontage – graves, different cultures)
It’s a pain that won’t go away
Lonely won’t leave me alone

There was a time I had pride (Nick walks towards camera, out of shot)
I had friends stood by my side (Andy, car, seatbelt, laughs)
And the smile was all I had to give
Under the spell, under the power
I fell in with the lonely crowd
And so I guess I learnt my lesson well (Meryl, boys’ animation, “It was meant to be.”)
Lonely won’t leave me alone

I tried, I tried but you won’t let go (Meryl laughs. Moves down the street searching for Nick)
It’s a pain that won’t go away
Lonely won’t leave me alone (Jasmine’s birthday party)

Chalking days on the wall (Jasmine’s birthday party)
Seems the night won’t end at all
Call me patiently (Knock at Anna’s door)
Trace your smile on the glass (Window)
Try to make an hour last (Anna at window)
Till I come home again (Andy looks up at her)

Music (Joan watching tv – Arnow Hill – child rescued; children splashing in puddles)

Lonely won’t leave me alone (Nick & Meryl reconcile)
I tried, I tried but you won’t let go
It’s a pain that won’t go away

There was a time I thought I knew (Final photomontage – Nick in hospitalAbout life and what to do receiving treatment while Meryl paints;Meryl & Nick on beach holding glasses;Nick, Andy & Phil together – happy;Meryl- art exhibition; Nick & Andy withbaby (Anna & Andy); Nick planning trip;overseas travel; Nick & Meryl – happy.)

Sound of birds (Indicates characters lives are taking off )

“Never, ever worry” (Credits roll)

Calypso, upbeat, life-affirming

No comments: